If you love a good Bolognese and you are trying to keep your carb intake down whilst improving your overall health, our Eat Smart 7:2:1 Zucchini Noodle Bolognese is the perfect option!
If you are a bit sceptical about replacing your favourite pasta with a vegetable, here are a few reasons to give it a try! Zucchini is known to have so many health benefits, including being a high source of Antioxidants, Potassium and Vitamin C. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that can improve heart health, maintain eye health and help improve digestion.
TRM Rating: 70%
- 2 zucchini
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Butter or ghee, for frying
- ½ brown onion, finely diced
- 1 clove fresh garlic, finely diced
- 1 small carrot, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 100 grams lean beef mince
- 1/2 400g tin crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 1 tbsp each of fresh basil and parsley
- To make the mince, heat a non-stick pan with a little butter or ghee and cook onion and garlic over medium heat until softened. Add carrot and celery and stir through until reduced, fragrant and caramelised.
- Add mince, and fry until browned. Add tomato puree and paste. Season. Reduce heat slightly, and simmer to allow flavour to develop. Add chopped fresh herbs and dried Italian herbs just before serving.
- While mince is simmering, remove ends from zucchini and spin through a spiraliser to make zoodles. If you don’t have a spiraliser, peel longs strands, then slice lengthways to make zucchini noodles.
- Serve zoodles topped with mince and sprinkled with parmesan cheese.