Avocado has become somewhat of a daily commodity with some even going as far as to say that avo toast has become a hearty part of Australian culture! There are so many health benefits hidden in this fruit for both the body and the mind. Avocado is part of the flowering plant family, Lauraceae, and is actually classified as a berry.
Did You Know?
Avocado oil can be used on the skin as a natural moisturiser or as a hair mask to help strengthen your hair and give it a dazzling shine.
Most fruits consist of predominantly the carbohydrate, fructose. Avo is one of the only fruits high in monosaturated fats. Monosaturated fats are also known as good fats or heart-healthy fats. These help with the development and maintenance of your cells. They also help lower cholesterol levels, unlike trans or saturated fats found in processed food or fatty red meats.
Vitamins and Nutrients
One-third of an avocado can have up to 20 different vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients! Here are just a few:
- Rich in pantothenic acid, a B-vitamin that helps your body convert food to energy.
- Good source of dietary fibre, known to reduce risks of type 2 diabetes, heart disease and obesity.
- Folate, great for cell and tissue development.
- Vitamin E which helps protect the body from free radicals (Unstable molecules that can cause damage to other cells in the body).
- Iron, an essential part of hemoglobin (red blood cells) which help promote a healthy metabolism and aid in transporting oxygen around the body.
One of our favourite ways to enjoy this delicious fruit is to smash it up and turn it into guacamole! Check out the recipe below, taken straight from the 7:2:1 Comfort recipe collection:
Tim’s Best Guacamole:
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/4 red onion
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1/2 red chilli
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- Pinch cumin
- Sea salt and freshly ground black
FINELY dice the onion, tomatoes, chilli and coriander and mash avocado
COMBINE all ingredients, season with salt and pepper and enjoy!
Read more about 721 Comfort here