Festive Eating the 721 way
When trying to achieve your health and fitness goals, special occasions don’t have to cause anxiety! Nutrition is all about balance and nourishing yourself with real food. If you follow the 721 way of life, you know that you can plan for social events using your 10% days. Being aware of what you are eating is the most important part of maintaining a healthy body. We’ve put together our top tips to help you navigate your social events so that you still enjoy yourself without sabotaging your results!
Top 5 tips for eating out:
- If you’re going out to eat, look at the menu online first, a little research can go a long way and making healthy choices can start well before you’ve taken a seat at the dinner table.
- Eat Slowly and mindfully. Put your fork down in between bites and take your time to chew thoroughly. It takes about 20 minutes for the brain to recognize the stomach is full and taking your time with your meal is also better for digestion.
- Avoid the bread… It may be free but has little nutrient value. Remind yourself there’s delicious gourmet food coming your way.
- Order two entrées. Consider skipping the entrée and main combo and try having two healthy entrées for your meal.
- Skip the cocktails or order one without sugar, ask for your Mojito without the sugar syrup. The best option is anything white spirited with fresh lime and soda. Not only is this more hydrating but it’s also the lowest calorie beverage. Remember for every alcoholic drink, a glass of water should follow.
- Don’t be afraid to ask how the food is cooked, you are in charge of your body and what goes into it. If there is a ‘fried’ version of your favorite option, don’t be afraid to ask for it ‘grilled’ instead.
- Go for healthier cooking methods like grilled, steamed, boiled or poached.
- Swap chips for side salad, or double serving of veggies, and dressing/sauce on the side.
- Dessert time? Having a tea or coffee after your meal is a good way to participate in the after-dinner fun without loading up on unnecessary calories. Sharing dessert is a good option, or perhaps wait till you get home for some dark chocolate.